Monday, July 23, 2012

Reading Response Blog 5


The article by Rasinski about creating fluent readers correlated with an experience I had in class. When I was reading the article in class, I read 150 words a minute. Does this make me a fluent reader? According to many educators, yes, I would be classified as a fluent reader. Does it matter that I comprehended minimal amounts of the article but read it quickly? 

According to the article by Rasinski and Deeney, a fluent reader needs to not only be able to process the text, but they must also comprehend it. With today’s emphasis for fast readers, it is important for future educators to know what qualifies as a true fluent reader. It takes time for a student to develop the skills necessary to decode text, read smoothly, process it with minimal effort, have the endurance to continue reading, and use correct expression.

It is also important for us to know how to create an environment conducive for testing reading fluency. In class last Thursday, we timed a partner in reading and were told to mark whenever they made a mistake. This is putting unneeded pressure on the student.  As a college student, I experienced so much pressure that I did not comprehend the text and only aimed at reading accurately and quickly. If that is how it affected me, I can only imagine how it would affect a young reader. We want to test a child’s reading fluency in a manner that does not add undue stress.

What would you do to ensure your students are getting tested for reading fluency in an environment that does not apply too much stress?

Sight words or vocabulary

1 comment:

  1. SIGHT WORD TWISTER! What an amazing idea. Not only does this help children with the concept of left and right, it also helps them master their words! How would you manage this game with approximately 25-30 students? What would you do to occupy the students who were not participating in the game at the moment?

    ReplyDelete