Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Reading Response Blog 6



I read the articles by Gill and Gregory and Cahill. I thought these were interesting articles to read in one sitting. The Gill article inspired me as to the passion of young children. They love asking questions, using their hands to demonstrate meaning, and writing their ideas on a big paper. The Gill article described the prereading, during reading, and post reading. I thought it was extremely helpful in explaining the importance of each stage, and then providing examples of activities to complete in each stage. I was really impressed with the idea of using the prereading stage to activate prior knowledge. Activating prior knowledge is key to comprehension. The Gregory and Cahill article called the linking of prior knowledge to new knowledge the "Velcro Theory". This provided a great visual for me of literally attaching new and old knowledge.

What kind of activities would you use in your classroom to activate prior knowledge?

Story bags. Fill bags with random items, have the students use them to come up with a story. How fun and using lots of imagination
Fill bags with random items, have the students use them to come up with a story. How fun and using lots of imagination

8 comments:

  1. I love the activity you posted. I have seen this on Pinterest and thought it would be really fun for students to use. You could even use it in a station and have your students write a story or draw a picture that goes along with the items in their bag. I think it is a great way to build creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really loved the game that you posted. I gathered many ideas from the stages of reading and rereading. I love how many of these articles have given us as "future teachers" ideas and examples of great teaching tactics that we are able to use in our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Velcro theory" was most interesting to me and I think that is a great way to help children make connections with what they don't know and what they already know. I would love to see this done in the classroom. Gregory and Cahill gave several different ideas teachers can use in the classroom to get their students thinking about what they are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley,

    I love your pinterest idea! I also believe that activating prior knowledge before reading is important... I just haven't mastered that yet. I think that activating prior knowledge that RELATES to the educational content is difficult for younger grades because it often becomes "story time".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree that pre-reading is something that can really enhance a student's overall comprehension. The game you posted would be a great way to employ this new tactic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story bags thing you posted the picture of. I did service learning in a Kindergarten class and my teacher selected a student each day to make a story using items in the story bag. It was so fun to hear their creative stories and the kids really enjoyed the activity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's really important that you mentioned, and that we keep in mind, all of the activities that are essential before reading, during reading, and after reading to help boost students comprehensions and other reading skills. It's important to remember that reading isn't just the actual act of reading, it's also comprehending and constructing meaning from the words that are read. These strategies will help do us do that in a more efficient way. I really liked to activity you posted as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Web Development Services From Boston & Exeter - Smile MEDIA is a Website Development Company that offers different web/app design and development services to companies all over the globe. Find out what services we provide.Visit Our Site - https://www.smilemultimedia.com/digital-development-services

    ReplyDelete